Advertisements

The Giving Sack: A New Holiday Tradition

By

11 weeks until Christmas. Are you team wait until 12/23 to start shopping for your loved ones in a panicked frenzy? Team begin shopping early and have completed by October? Or a mix of the two?

My biggest pet peeves during the holiday – pictures on social media of piles of gifts and the never ending question of “What did you get this year?” For me, the emphasis has never been on material items and I love encouraging my kids to find joy from the traditions and time not what is under the tree.

pablo (33)

A holiday tradition that my mom started when I was a kid was giving my sister and I a book each year with a handwritten note in it. Every year we read the old books and the new book together before bed as a kick off to the holiday season. I have continued that tradition with my boys. My mom always incorporated something from the year into the book selection (i.e. The year we went to the Nutcracker we received that book along with a note about how special it was to go with us and watch our eyes light up with delight). This year, i have an exciting new book to include, The Giving Sack and I want to share with you!

This is not just any book though – its an experience and it makes my heart so very happy. Most of you know that I am social worker, so giving back and helping those less fortunate is what I have devoted my working life to do. The idea behind The Giving Sack is to encourage your children to give back to others. It is simple enough for even the youngest of children to understand.

DSC_8443-1.jpg

The message is simple – there are others who may not be as fortunate so you will fill the sack and sit on your porch for Santa to come and gather before taking back to the North Pole to repair and deliver to others. It encourages your children to find value and meaning on helping others. The Giving Sack is the perfect conversation starter for children and adults alike.

IMG_7653.jpg

These instructions are vague on purpose. Execute this simple set of instructions and adapt for what works best for your family.

• Before the holiday season read the story with your child, and give them the enclosed sack.
  • Allow them to fill it with whatever toys they deem fit for donation.
  • Secure sack and place it outside.
  • Once your child is peacefully asleep, checkout the donation sack to ensure the toys are gently used and suitable for donation. Discard unfit toys, clean up fit toys and place them back in the sack or in a separate bag for the actual donation.
  • Drop off the sack/bag at any local donation center. Be sure to check with local churches, daycares or families that may be directly in need.
  • Hide the sack away for next year.
  • Praise your child for their generosity, and have them share their experience with others.
  • Finally, you can sit back and smile, knowing that you are guiding your child along a path of kindness and generosity.

IMG_7646.jpg

Santa writes my boys a letter each year (another tradition I am continuing from my mom) sharing things that happened that year that he watched, things he is proud of them for, and hopes he has for next year. This year, Santa will make sure to include how proud he is that they used the sack to fill with toys.

It is never too late to start a new tradition. Instead of spending countless hours worrying about what toy will bring your child joy, or planning the next location of your Elf on the Shelf, instead find it in your heart to purchase The Giving Sack and make the world a better and kinder place to be.

Head on over to Instagram for a chance to win a book and a giving sack for your home!

Use code FITFAMILYLIFE to save 10% at checkout until 10/16/18.

Xoxo,

Erin

**This is a sponsored post but all thoughts are my own.

Advertisements

We also recommend

15 Comments

Becky Haygood
    October 9, 2018 at 5:07 pm

What a great thing to do each year with a child any age! We will have to incorporate this into our household, along with one of the girls’ fav traditions of decorating sugar cookies!

FitFamilyLife
      October 9, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Love cookie making, and I tend to eat while cooking so that’s fun too 🤣

Leah
    October 9, 2018 at 5:14 pm

This warms my heart!! What an amazing idea!!! Thank you for sharing!

FitFamilyLife
      October 9, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Oh I know, it’s the best ❤️

Janine
    October 9, 2018 at 5:19 pm

I love this. We do something similar already, but not is cool sounding as this 🙂 as you know, my dad was also social worker and I grew up having my Christmas funded by local churches or the angel tree. It definitely humbled me. That’s not to say that I don’t spoil my kids for birthdays and Christmas (Kind of give them that magic feeling on Christmas morning that I rarely got)—but I strive very hard to not go overboard and forget the meaning behind the holiday. I think this is just awesome 🙂

FitFamilyLife
      October 9, 2018 at 7:37 pm

I adore you but you already know that ❤️ you are doing a phenomenal job mama!

Stephanie
    October 9, 2018 at 6:13 pm

We love just spending time with family on Christmas Eve and looking at Christmas lights in our pajamas!

FitFamilyLife
      October 9, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Christmas lights in Pjs is a great idea! Last year we started a new tradition with our extended family to wear Christmas pjs during our annual brunch on Christmas Day. Made it so much easier to get ready and so much more festive!

Jennt
    October 9, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Love this! Going to order now. Currently we do matching pajamas as a tradition, going out and looking at christmas lights, and making cookies. But as boys get older and understand more i want to start incorporating traditions like this, so thank you for this!

FitFamilyLife
      October 9, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Don’t forget the code to save 10%! I’ve always loved people’s matching Jammie pics! I ordered my 3 jammies this year that say “I’ll trade my brother for gifts!” 😂

Khalida
    October 10, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Aww I love this.

FitFamilyLife
      October 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm

❤️❤️

Sarah Brichetti
    October 10, 2018 at 3:20 pm

🙂 We like to keep toys to a minimum in this house! Although little one is only 14 months, we try to politely ask for experiences like a museum membership or zoo tickets. However, we always seem to be bombarded with toys. While we are grateful, this sounds like a nice idea to do in helping keep our toys down to a minimum. I’m sure as he gets older and Christmas and birthdays pass, we will accumulate even more. Great idea for a tradition!

FitFamilyLife
      October 10, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Yes! ❤️ I love that you guys do that! Xoxo

Friday Favorites- 11/9 - Virginia Bloggers
    November 9, 2018 at 12:13 pm

[…] This holiday tradition from The Fit Family Life might become a new family favorite! […]