You may have plans to ring in the New Year in your most fancy glittery dress with the highest heels in your closet and ready to dance the night away and drink all the bubbly in sight. Or, you may be in bed snoring long before the ball drops. I have no shame admitting I am in the second group of party animals!
If you want to celebrate the New Year but would rather do so at 12:00pm noon instead of 12:00am then here are a 7 awesome options for you and your family!
Paint N Play at Hardywood 12-4pm 2408 Ownby Ln Richmond, VA 23220
- 30 minutes of Canvas painting, supervision required for kiddos under 6
- Food Truck Grub from SuperFrog – mac n’ cheese and sliders – YUM
- Adult beverages for the parents – WIN WIN.
- $12-19 per child depending on design they choose. All supplies provided.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Family Frolic – 2pm to 5pm
Lakeside Avenue Richmond, Virginia 23228
- Make your own New Year’s party hat
- Write your wish for 2018 and add it to the wishing chain
- Photo opportunities with the Garden Keeper
- Be a part of the annual tradition: “Rolling in the New Year” by rolling down the hill to the rose garden. (Palmer thinks this is a per admission tradition. We really aren’t allowed to leave until he rolls down at every visit.)
- PRICING – Seniors 55 and up, $11, Adults $13, Military (with ID) $10,Child 3-12 8$, Children under 3 FREE
- Prices are the same as regular garden admission for non-members.
- Don’t be turned away from this event because of cold temps – the activities are inside (except for the hill roll!)
- Also, the BEST part of the Family Frolic is that if you attend the Family Frolic, if you are already in the Garden you are able to stay for the Dominion Energy GardenFest of Lights. This is a holiday tradition featuring more than a half million lights, botanical decorations, trains, holiday activities & more. without having to pay double! Two events for the price of one is AMAZING. Or, if you are a Garden member, you are free (typically Garden members even have to pay for this event outside of a free week when it opens).
Children’s Museum of Richmond – 10am-2pm at all 4 locations
- Ring in the New Year CMoR-Style with a Countdown to Noon, Seymour Parade, Special Activities and More, at all 4 CMoR Locations!
- The Central location will even feature a Confetti Room and an Education Extravaganza!
- Free with museum admission – free for annual members, Children and Adults (Age 1- 59) : $9.00, Under 1: Free, Seniors: $8.00
Science Museum of Virginia 10am-1pm 2500 West Broad Street Richmond, VA 23220
- Count down to noon to see a dramatic and quirky version of the traditional ball drop! Kick off the New Year with science on your side. Watch 2,018 bouncy balls, paper streamers and confetti bring our Rotunda to life for a special ball drop and apple juice toast to celebrate the New Year. The Museum will open at 9:30 AM to prepare for the event.
- Museum admission includes entrance into this event, so can take advantage of the other exhibits while there! No need to worry about weather, it’s all inside! Love the under 5 area at the museum as much as my kids do – so don’t rule out this option for little ones. Need a meal or snack while there? The Periodic Table has great food for adults and kids!
- Pricing: Adults – $14.50, Youth & Senior – $13.50, Children 3 and under – free, Members – Free – Science museum has amazing membership options – but let me talk you through a great idea if you have children that are all under 5. The Star Membership is $75 annually for one adult. It includes two Dome passes and two guest passes. This option is great for our family because typically I am out and about RVA with the boys while my husband is working, he can use the guest passes when he can join on weekends! If you need the two adult passes regularly, look at the Pulsar option for 90$. This membership is extremely affordable and will pay for itself in 3 visits or less depending on the size of your family! (Think about this as an option for holiday gifts!)
My Birth – 11am – 2pm1726 Altamont Avenue Suite 2 Richmond VA 23230
- Food trucks, hot cocoa, games, crafts, and a balloon drop and dance party with Ant Boogie from Little Nomad!
Monkey Joes 11am-6pm 11304 Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, VA 23235
- Noisemakers and bubble wrap to count down at noon!
- Included with admission
- Price 9.99$ for youth, 5.99$ for under 2 (if playing). Adults are free
Pump It up – Hanover 9555 Kings Charter Drive Suite 1 Ashland, VA 23005
- Noisemakers and lots of jumping!
- Included with admission – adults are free and children 8$
Cheers RVA, hope you have a safe and fun New Year’s Eve!