Have you read about the small town, Chewandswallow, whose weather conditions consist of the town’s meals for the day? Sounds amazing right? There is not a day that the residents need to go grocery shopping. If only it was that easy! In town Chewandswallow, the weather for the next day is forecasted on the television. Every time the people in Chewandswallow go outside they take their plates, utensils, and cups so they were prepared for the weather and meal. We might be moving to this amazing town ASAP. Talk about making my life easier! Welp, not that easy but it is the plot of the cutest childrens book ever: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett.
If you want to make this dinner idea extra fun : Go pick up a copy of this book and read it with your little one before or after dinner. Or, if they are able to read out loud have them read while your cooking! Make meals a family affair again!
Usually I have to play around with ingredients for my dinner adaptations a few times to make healthier versions for our family. But this time I hit the nail on the head on the first try to couldn’t wait to share:
Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- Ground turkey (I used 1 lb. but can make more or less)
- 1/2 of a medium-sized Zucchini, grated
- Dash of oregano
- Dash of basil leaves
- 3/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Finely grate the zucchini.
- Add ground turkey and zucchini into mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients and then egg.
- Roll mixture into balls (sizing personal preference but adapt the cook time) and cook for 15 minutes or until done.
- Add meatballs to sauce while warming for additional flavor. (If you like to prepare meals ahead like me – cook these and let sit for a few hours or overnight in the sauce. Even more delicious!!)
We all really enjoyed these and it’s a great way to pack in veggies in a very healthy and easy manner! Plenty of leftovers for lunch! Absolutely a new regular for us. Better tune into the local Chewandswallow news for the weather tomorrow (Ill say a mommy prayer its raining margaritas for us!)