There’s a restaurant in the bottom of my office with lots of yummy treats! It’s a great mental break from office but it adds up price wise and the treats aren’t healthy! So I set out to recreate one of my favorite items at home with my cute sous chef. What I didn’t expect was that he would eat 3/4ths of this and name it the “healthy chini bread.” I’ll take cooking and quality time with this cutie over expensive store bought bread any day!
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raw honey
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- I used a 8×8 loaf pan to cook bread in. Grease and lightly dust with flour and shake out excess flour. (Don’t skip flour, we did during first attempt and wasn’t as lovely!)
- In mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and ground cinnamon. Mix together.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, add honey, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.
- Combine ingredients of two mixing bowls.
- Grate and add in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
- Add mixture to prepared pan.
- Lick spoon and bowl (who skips this step?!)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.