My husband has a love of Mexican food that extends far beyond the normal love in my opinion. I am talking borderline stalker type obsession that I cannot say I understand. He would eat it every day if I would permit. Pre kids we went to the Don Pedro by our house so much that I’m pretty sure our waiter was my husbands best friend. But I put my foot down and instead we make healthier tacos at home these days which are delicious and help our finances. Our pre kids wild margarita drinking at Don Pedro has turned into wild nights chasing a naked toddler while telling him to stop taking off his clothes and repeatedly asking little people to not put their hands in the litter box. Real life folks.
So, for busy families on the go or working parents this version of chicken tacos will make your life infinitely easier. This is a go to lunch or dinner we use when husband gets the itch for Mexican!
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 12 oz jar of salsa
- 1 avacado
- 1/2 of medium size tomato
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained and rinsed (Even healthier version: 4 ears of corn!)
- Spanish Rice package (For a side option!)
- Place chicken, salsa, corn and black beans in the crock pot for 6 hours on low.
- Go to work, go to the pool, go have fun and don’t worry your little heart about the food!
- Come home and shred chicken.
- Cut up your toppings and add on top!
My husband added cheese and used whole wheat tortilla wrap to his for a slight variation of my bowl.
What I love about all of the recipes that my family eats is that we don’t do multiple meals to fit each person. We make one meal that works in some variation for everyone down to our 1 year old. Our three year old used whole wheat tortilla chips and made his into nachos! One cooked meal consumed in three different ways makes for a happy family. Meals do not have to be complicated and time consuming to be healthy. If you are feeling extra wild, have a marg. Without a doubt you’ve earned it this week mama!