Have you ever eaten a meal and thought “This is it? This is what I would choose if I had one meal for the rest of my life?” Well, tonight that was me. I had a moment with my dinner like a bad break up. I knew it was coming but I was delaying and stalling getting to the last bite because I didn’t want it to end. Seriously, I can’t even lie.
I’m breaking up with pasta. It’s over. So so very over. Cue the Kelly Clarkson & Taylor Swift girl power songs about how I am walking away and never looking back. I’m sorry Pasta, we are through. There’s a new love in my life; speghetti squash. He’s here to stay.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of shredded carrots
- Dash of salt and peppa (sorry couldn’t resist)
- Pasta sauce of your choosing
- 1 Squash
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and drizzle olive oil on both sides. I use my hand and ensure all of surface on both sides is evenly coated before placing on flat inside directly on baking dish. Tip: Don’t drench it. Just enough to coat.
- Cook for 45 minutes (You may need to adjust based on size of your squash. The bets way to tell if its done is to use a fork and poke through the squash. If it goes through easily and the squash feels soft, its ready. If its still firm and the fork isn’t piercing through squash easily, cook longer.
- Remove squash from oven and use a fork to scrape. The squash will become noodles as you scrape. Poof magic! If its not easily scraping with fork away from outside of squash, then put back in oven. You should be able to scrape away all of the inside of squash into noodles for a no waste meal.
It’s insanely easy and tasty. Toddler aproved (he didn’t even realize they weren’t noodles SCORE!) Grayson inhaled it …..but that’s no surprise….. he’s a human garbage disposal. He also likes to eat dirt and sticks, so yeah.
But seriously, spaghetti squash is so much lighter and healthier than typical pasta. The toppings are endless. You can add chicken, veggies, sauces! The sky is the limit. Get creative!
In your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice please repeat after me : Hasta la vista pasta.