Not to toot my own horn, but this mama made a yummy and easy dinner tonight with extras to make enough for lunches tomorrow. (Double points!) We have found that meal planning on Sunday’s for the week works best for us. It leaves no room for last minute food prep and texts at 4pm asking “What’s for dinner tonight?” “Did you lay anything out” “You cooking or me” “We don’t have anything in the fridge.” This was a common text exchange in our household 6 months ago. We were tired, frustrated, last minute dinner makers. An hour of planning and prepping is well worth your sanity during the week.
Tonight’s menu at Casa de Smith included my version of Chinese take out chicken fried rice.
- Green beans
- Brown rice
- Eggs (From my awesome friend Melissa’s house – even better!)
- Grilled chicken
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Cook chicken – I used smaller pieces and cooked at 350 for 30 minutes until tender. Added 4 tsp of soy sauce on top of chicken while cooking. Sliced into small pieces when done.Cook eggs to liking. I scrambled mine and cut into small pieces.
- Boil water and steam the green beans for 5 minutes.
- Boil water and add peas. Heat for 4 minutes until tender.
- Cook brown rice (1 cup of brown rice, 2 1/2 cups of water). Boil water, add rice, low heat and cover for 45 minutes.
- Chop onions.
- Add all of your ingredients above and mix together.
- EAT EAT EAT.
- Call your previous favorite Chinese take out place and tell them you will no longer need them.